Tuesday, March 11, 2008

One more step closer

An update on my nursing job:

I had to give the hospital a, uh...specimen... for a drug test. That was an interesting experience to say the least. I guess people do cheat once in a while, so the clinician was paranoid that I brought a cup in my purse to swap samples or something. I had to take off my coat so that I had nothing bulky on. I was not even allowed to take my purse into the bathroom. That was kind of nerve-wracking to just leave it there on my chair in the waiting room. Being stubborn, I at least grabbed my wallet. (If I was going to discover something missing, it could NOT be my driver's license, for goodness sake!) The clinician told me NOT to wash my hands on the way out. Huh? I double checked to make sure I heard him right. He said, "Yes, you will wash your hands in THIS sink, not THAT sink." ok...Wow. When I was finished, he was standing right outside the bathroom door listening to make sure I wasn't trying to dilute my sample with tap water. (I know. First impression is, "What a creep!") I guess drug tests can be stressful and people do things to mess up true results, so it was a really tightly controlled process by now. Boy! I'm glad that's over.

Good thing we didn't eat poppy seed muffins for breakfast or it would have created a false positive for opium! hee hee.

Next is a physical at the end of the month and then assuming all goes well, we will negotiate a start date.

2 comments:

Runnells said...

Wow! I never knew it was so intense! Good luck! :)

Julie Tegeder said...

I went through the same experience when I got hired to work at Sorenson Seattle. Is this for a job at the army base?